CCM Hermanas

CCM Hermanas

Monday, August 19, 2013

Mariachi, Rain and Weathervane

So the schedules here are wack. like wiggidy wack. Today im writing and my pday isn´t even till tomorrow! We go to the mercado and a 3d map of Guatemala and the temple, so that´s why i´m writing today! i think next week my pday is wednesday. sheesh.
 
Not much happened this week. More lessons,  more spanish, more food, more upset stomachs. You know, the life in the CCM. On Wednesday I think, the CCM President had a birthday and a mariachi band came in and played us a mini concert during lunch! It was aaaaawesome. Tell me that happens at the Provo MTC and then I´ll admit that we´re not the coolest Training Center. Until then, the Guatemala CCM holds the title!
 
It keeps raining around here. Like amounts of early fall in Corvallis. My companion thinks it´s the most glorious thing in the world and will go out and get soaking wet every time. I adopt the role of Eeyore. I´m so apathetic about the rain especially. it´s okay though, cause Hermana Bender is like that too, so it must just be an Oregon thing.
 
Tomorrow the girls who have been here for 6 weeks leave and all of the Latinos leave. The place will be empty! Then I become part of the intermediate group and we get all new roommates! I´m pretty excited to see who we´re rooming with! Hopefully they don´t snore.
 
The Guatemala Temple is so great! Super tiny, especially compared to Portland, but it´s a temple and it´s gorgeous! :)
 
The other day we got to talk to people outside of the temple. Most of them were members and one guy we talked to was 19 and was waiting on his mission call. My comp and I talked to this old man with half of his teeth who had the most uncomprehendable accent EVER. It was soooo hard to talk to him and my spanish is not so great, but he was really sweet. He told us that we were lovely, beautiful women who were beautiful cause we were doing the Lord´s work and one day we would get married in the temple. It was very sweet. He was a nice old man.
 
So the investigator that we were teaching turned out to be our teacher! Surprise, surprise! ...but not really. Our district accidentally found out early that our investigator was an actor. It was a bit sad, but we taught him the same and prayed for him and put all of our energy into lessons! Somos diligentes :)
 
Sundays are my favorite days because we get to watch devotionals and yesterday we also watched The Testaments and Legacy! Apparently the few romantic tones really got to some of the hermanas though. they were all dreaming about boys and dating and marriage or whatever. It´s a bit sad. I had a dream that I was a senior companion in the field. There was nothing to do with anything romantic. So... I´m having an easier time getting out of girly mode than all of the other sisters. But then again, I don´t think I ever was as girly as some of them to begin with... haha
 
So my name hasn´t been too bad for the latinos to pronounce. Not as bad as I thought it would have been! But for some unknown reason, the Nortes have a really hard time with it! Here are some of the names I have been called in the past 2 weeks (keep in mind I have a nametag on at all times to read off of):
  • Weatherbee
  • Weathertop
  • Witherspoon
  • Welfare
  • Weatherhead
  • Waterfield
  • Waterford
  • Weathervane
 
Funny stuff, eh? Silly Americans can´t even read the name Weatherford off of my nametag. Sheesh.
 
Things here are great and I really love being in the CCM here. I don't know how amazing my experience would have been if I had gone to the MTC in Provo (no offense to provo people). I love the things I´m learning and it´s amazing how much I learn about the gospel every day! I miss home sometimes, but it makes it easier knowing that the Lord has work for me to do here and I just gotsta focus and I can be the missionary He wants me to be!
 
Have a great week and I hope to get your dear elder letters on wednesday or thursday!
 
Love,
Hermana Weatherford
 
I was just talking with a new missionary (her first week out of the MTC), and she said that after a couple of weeks...there just isn't much to write about. They are in classes with the same teachers and students, sleeping in the same rooms with the same people, eating essentially the same food. She mentioned that it's hard to write exciting letters and that they all get to the Eeyore phase (she didn't call it that...but it fits).
 
In our case....mail travels slowly so our questions to Hermana W don't get answered right away. Please, if you do hear something from her that you think the rest of us might like to hear...let me know and I will put it up on her blog. Apparently her sister (looking at you Kylie!) asked a handful of simple questions and has yet to share that info with us!
 
Teigen talks about Sundays and watching devotionals. If you are interested, you can find them here: http://www.mormonchannel.org/. It has a section just for Devotionals, which tend to be talks by church authorities. Also on the page are short feel good videos. Sometimes, I like to watch a couple just to bring my spirit up from a bad day (yeah, Gramma Pat, I know you do too!).
 
Until the next installment, let's Scatter Sunshine All Along the Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment