CCM Hermanas

CCM Hermanas

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cambios!!!

This weeks title comes from Hna W herself! Apparently there are some changes happening this week. Fabulous. For the format of today's letter....I asked her a bunch of questions and she was happy to answer. Please let me know if there is something you would like to know more about. Honestly I think it helps her come up with things to write!

This is a new week and we have gotten the call the tomorrow at the transfer meeting I will be going somewhere new! Who knows where, but I'm sure it'll be where the Lord needs me!
 
Just a quick recap of the week before I get to the question and answer section.
 
-Two of our investigators turned out to be members. That was weird. We even asked one of them if she was a member and she said no, but then she said she was baptized and sealed in the temple. So... that's a weird thing.
 
-We had to go all the way to the Capitol just for me to sign some visa papers yesterday. We lost a ton of pday time and I have so much left to pack! Eek!
 
-L was baptized!!!! She has yet to be confirmed, but she was baptized! How fantastic :) We are all super super super happy for her!
 
That's the highlights of it all. Tomorrow Hna. Garcia goes home to Ecuador, Hna. Brower stays in our area and gets to welcome a new trainer and I get a new trainer and a new to me area!

Questions:
Why are you in a triple? Is it because there are too many new sisters? Because of the language barrier? Culturally appropriate?
Because a lot of new sisters came in at once and they didn't have enough trainers. I think pretty much most of the trios are being broken up now though for our second 6 week part of training
*Are you in an area that celebrates dia de los muertos? If so, what are the celebrations like? If not, what kind of holidays are local? And what do they look like?
Holidays we haven't really seen. There was Dia de NiƱos, but i'm not really sure about other days. There is one day where we saw a bunch of catholic tradition stuff with flower petals in the street and bread and candles. That was kinda cool and smelled pretty good! Apparently there is a holiday here in december when they burn all of their garbage to ward off spirits. My lungs are really excited.
*Lynda really wants to know about the weavings. Apparently it's a thing. She wants to know if you have seen anyone doing theweavings, if this is for local use or just tourist stuff, if they use wool or cotton (or other), what kind of plants etc do they use for dyes, are all the looms straight? Essentially anything you can learn about the weavings of Guatemalan natives. And she's aware that this will probably take a bit of research and conversation!
Umm... It's really only for tourists where I'm at. And I don't know that anyone has this hobby, but I'll keep my eye out for more info.
*What do you normally eat? Cereal for breakfast? Tortillas with every meal? Why does your fridge smell like bananas? What about the produce...exotic or do you see stuff that you recognize like broccoli?
Cereal for breakfast, chicken or another type of meat in a sauce with rice and tons of tortillas on the side. and for dinner, nothing. We just eat cookies until we get in the house at night and eat around 10 pm. Pretty much the same, just a few new fruits I've never had. I'm loving a fruit called jocotes (see below) right now. So good. We always see the pits in the streets. We buy bananas and never eat them but my comp doesn't want to take them out of the fridge until garbage day cause they'll go bad, but we always forget. They've been in the fridge for about 2 months now.
*Speaking of meals, how do the locals eat...like 2 big meals or 5 small ones. Do families eat together around a central table or are they all broken up at different times and places? Do they have individual plates or eat from a communal bowl?
Individual plates, breakfast, lunch and dinner and lunch is the big meal. It depends on the family if they're going to eat together or not.
*What kinds of games to people play with their children?
I dunno. I don't really see parents playing with their children. I've seen a lot of people playing marbles in the streets, and soccer. But that's about it.
*Are people fashionable?
Not really. You'll see a few people that are pretty fashion, but for the most part, no.
*Are there tall people?
Some, not many. I'm taller than pretty much everyone.
*What does your foliage look like? I doubt you are seeing the wildly vibrant fall colors like I am, but are you surrounded by lush greenery or is it barren because it's city?
Pretty green. Trees, bushes, ivy, the likes.
*Animals...what do you see everyday? Big giant rats? Lots of deer? Capybara roaming the streets?
Lots of stray dogs. Some cats. I think a lady by the park has a pet raccoon.

Just going to add a couple pictures of the baptism and other things and that's all!


Does this look like Taco Bell to you??

 
 


I'm sorry folks...I cannot get the pictures any larger.

Those who are interested, like me, in what a jocote is....click here. I'm thinking I need to try one, or two.

 There is Sunshine In My Soul Today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment